Realtek AC'97 audio drivers for Windows 8, Window 7 and Vista
Windows Vista (32bit and 64bit), Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit), Windows 8 (32bit and 64bit)
Name of file
Approximate size of download
[Click to Download]
This AC'97 audio drivers package will install version 6305 of the sound drivers on your system. It can be used for Windows Vista (32bit and 64bit), Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit) and Windows 8 (32bit and 64bit). However, Window 8 users should follow the special instructions listed below. The download contains the drivers, sound controller software and other programs needed to get the full functionality out of the AC'97 sound controller.
How to install the AC97 audio drivers on Windows 8
Officially there are no AC97 drivers certified for Windows 8. However you can easily install the Windows 7 drivers with little fuss. The reason Windows 8 won’t let you install is due to a lack of a driver signature (in other words, it works but the driver hasn’t been officially endorsed by Microsoft). As usual Microsoft really made this a long and convoluted process. Here’s what to do:
- Download the driver file, unzip the contents to a temporary folder and bookmark this page (there are some hard-to-find menu options coming up).
- Click the Windows settings option (the cog icon that appears in the bottom right of your desktop screen).
- Click Change PC Settings, then the General Option, and Advanced Startup at the bottom
- Click Restart Now and a small blue window will appear with the heading ‘Choose An Option’. Click ‘Troubleshoot’, then select the Advanced Options. Yet another screen appears. Click option 7, Disable driver signature enforcement. Press F7 on your keyboard. Your computer will now restart.
- Once your computer restarts, go the Device Manager and look for the little yellow exclamation mark next to your sound device and choose Update Driver Software from the top menu bar (third from the right, with a light green arrow pointing up). Now choose Browse for drivers and go to the folder you created in step 1. Click Next.
- A warning message will appear ‘Windows can’t verify the publisher of this software’. Choose the ‘Install this driver anyway’ option (note the scary text underneath about damaging your computer or stealing your information. Another reason it should list is that the manufacturers couldn’t be bothered getting the driver certified because they want you to buy a new version of their hardware instead).
- That’s it. You can deleted the file downloaded and the temporary folder. But you may want to keep the driver download for a time when you reinstall Windows 8 again.
That worked perfectly on my new Windows 8 setup, I now have the AC’97 running perfectly – JayBobSquare
Great stuff. This was bugging me for ages. I used old hardware on a PC that was good enough to run Windows 8 but I couldn’t get the sound to work. I didn’t even know you could run the AC’97 drivers on Windows 8. Thanks – dnky1980
Not sure I like Windows 8 that much but I like it a little more now that I have sound - Sqllr
Gave my old computer to my mum and decided to upgrade to Windows 8. Big mistake but at least I have fixed the AC97 driver issue – KarenK
I thought my speakers were broken until I came to your site. I didn’t even know what AC97 meant! Thank you so much – Jentell11
This page: Download AC'97 audio drivers package for Windows 8 | Windows 7 | Windows Vista | 32bit and 64bit